THE BY-LAWS OF THE DOWNTOWN BROCKTON ASSOCIATION OF BROCKTON, MASSACHUSETTS
Article I Name
The name of this organization shall be the Downtown Brockton Association.
Article II Object
- To assist Downtown businesses and professionals.
- To promote and strengthen the growth and development of future investments in Downtown Brockton.
- To promote a positive community image of Downtown Brockton and the greater Brockton area.
- To serve as a catalyst to create a better physical and economic climate for business growth through programs for, events for, and promotion of the Downtown Brockton area.
Article III Membership
Membership shall be limited to businesses and individual who pay dues as set by the Executive Board, or any individual or group unanimously accepted by the Executive Board. Members in good standing may speak to and/or vote on any business that properly comes before the Association.
Article IV Officers and Elections
- Section 1. The officers of the Association shall consist of a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary. These officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these bylaws.
- Section 2. At the May meeting, a nomination committee shall be formed. It shall be the duty of this committee to nominate candidates for all offices. This roster of candidates shall be made available to all voting members one week the prior meeting. An election of officers from the candidates on this roster shall be held each year at the June meeting, so that officers may begin new terms of office on July 1 each year.
- Section 3. In addition to the officers, there shall be an Executive Board consisting of all elected officers and three members selected by the Chairman, which shall perform the duties outlined in these bylaws.
Article V Duties of Officers
- Section 1. Chairman: The Chairman shall preside over and keep order at all Association meetings, oversee all activities of the Executive Board and General Committees, approve all correspondence and assign committees.
- Section 2. Vice-Chairman : The Vice-Chairman shall assume all responsibilities of the Chairman in his/her absence, and assist the Chairman in all responsibilities and duties. The Vice-Chairman shall by definition be a member of all general committees, and give reports to the Executive Board when deemed necessary.
- Section 3. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall keep financial records for the Association including but not limited to: checkbook and account balancing, paying bills on a timely basis, and making these records available to the Executive Board and the voting members upon request.
- Section 4. Secretary: The Secretary shall keep all records of the Association, including but not limited to: minutes of all meetings, agendas for upcoming meetings, correspondence to and from the Association. Section 5. Executive Board: The Executive Board shall have general supervision of the Association between regular meetings, fix the hour and location of Executive Board and general meetings, supervise the construction of general meeting agendas including selection of speakers/presenters, address any requests for donations/funding, and set, interpret and apply policy to address issues which arise.
Article VI Meetings
- Section 1. The regular meeting of the Association shall be held on the last Wednesday of each month unless otherwise ordered by the Executive Board.
- Section 2. The regular meeting on the last Wednesday in June shall be the annual meeting, at which time officers for the year will be elected.
- Section 3. Special meetings may be called by the Executive Board if necessary.
- Section 4. Meeting guests: Non-members may attend up to three meetings per fiscal year without becoming members of the Association. Non-members have no voting rights on business before the Association.
Article VII Committees
General Committees shall be appointed by the Chairman in order to perform specific tasks. The Chairman and ViceChairman shall by definition be members of all general committees except the nominating committee.
Article VIII Amendment of Bylaws
These bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the Association by majority vote of members present, provided that the amendment(s) have been submitted in writing to the secretary two weeks prior to the regular meeting and distributed to the general membership one week prior to said meeting.